Sunday, May 22, 2011

anniversary staycation

Since Houston is in law school at the moment, our anniversary always falls right in the middle of finals. He is always busy studying and taking tests so we don't really celebrate very much. So, once he was done with finals I wanted to celebrate our anniversary and having a husband again!! Last year we went on a vacation to Utah but since we just had our little bit we decided to have a little "staycation" instead. We packed up house and home to spend the night in Galveston.

we kicked off the day with lunch at The Spot. One of my all time favorite places in Galveston. The food is ok, it's not absolutely amazing, but it's definitely tasty. I think I like the atmosphere the most...sitting on the patio, looking out at the water, listening to the waves, etc.


H will probably hate the fact that I put this picture up, but I just had to document his po-boy! It was HUGE! And very yummy!


Here is Little Bit enjoying a stroll down The Strand in Historic Galveston. Isn't her little beach dress just too cute! I thought her Uncle Fo did a good job picking it out all by himself.


a little view of The Strand.
I love Galveston. They have done a really good job of cleaning up and restoring the historic section of the city, especially since the Hurricane a few years ago. The rest of the beach town needs some work. I think I really tried to look at it with open eyes this time, and some parts of the town are super shady and run down. It's so sad because it has so much potential. There are tons of historic homes that could be so pretty if someone fixed them up. There is a movement going on to try and restore the city, which I love! Galveston isn't the prettiest, the beach isn't the most lovely, but I grew up going to the beach all summer long every summer since I was a little kid, so it always holds a special place in my heart!


Aside from the beach and getting a tan, my favorite thing to do in Galveston is go to La Kings!! My mom always used to take us when we were little. They have taffy, fudge, ice cream ...and it's all homemade and delicious! We shared a banana split. SO good.



We spent the night at Hotel Galvez. I was a little nervous because the hotel is really really old. I just didn't know how updated or comfortable it would be, but we wanted to go ahead and try it because it's a little piece of history! And it didn't disappoint! It was great! and they had a little museum on the lower level telling all about the history of the hotel. It was built in 1910/1911 as an effort to rebuild the city after the hurricane back then!


To my disappointment it was too cold to go to the beach (what the?? it is may in texas!) but we got to go lay by the hotel pool which was fun!


for din din we tried out Mosquito Cafe. So cute! and the food was good too. I had the curried tuna sandwich, H had a burger (surprise surprise), and we shared the homemade mac and cheese which was to die for!

Since it was still too cold to go to the beach the next day we went to Kemah to... you guessed it... EAT!

we tried T Bone Tom's because it was on our fav Triple D. Houst and I shared an enormous steak but I forgot to take a picture of it. I did get a pic of the Armadillo Eggs which were the best thing we ate! Chopped bbq beef stuffed in a jalapeno and breaded and deep fried. MMM. Delicious ball of heart attack that I would go back for in a second!


the end.

3 comments:

HolliJo said...

How fun! I don't think I've ever been to any of those restaurants! Maybe next time we come we will have to go. Glad you guys got to spend some time together! And your hair looks so cute!

The Pack's said...

How fun for you guys! Packing for 3 is way harder than you can ever imagine isn't it? What a cute family of 3! :)

Ben N Nessa said...

LOVE your staycation pictures....I dream of going on a stayca or vaca with you guys because you do EVERYTHING I consider important- eating, eating, sun, eating :) You guys are adorable and I still can't get over how sweet Elaina is!