here she is...
Elaina Noelle Harris
born April 8, 2011
2:29 p.m.
7 lbs 0 oz
20 1/2 in. long
I've had a few requests for the "story" so here it is.
My doctor said he would induce me on the 8th so we went to the hospital at 12:15 Thursday night/Friday morning to check in. I saw the same nurse that was there when Mckayla was born and got really nervous because she was not the nicest (that's putting it mildly) and I didn't want her to be my nurse! But, we got put in a room (the same room Mckayla was born in!) and Darlene walked in; thank goodness it wasn't Rosetta! Darlene was very sweet and kinda weird ;) She was from Canada and said the weirdest sayings/phrases; but as far as nurses go she was great! They started pitocin around 3:30 and we attempted to sleep a little bit. Houston slept great! I, still being pregnant, had to pee like 50 times and couldn't sleep a bit. I would just lie there wondering if it was worth it to try and go to the restroom because I had to unhook the monitors, unstrap the blood pressure cuff, and wheel the IV stand with me into the bathroom. Houston was dead asleep and wouldn't wake up for anything! So, it was pretty much a sleepless night for me!
I was told by many friends to make sure I got my epidural before the doctor came in to break my water. Dr. Le told me he would probably be in around 7:30 to break my water so come 7:15 I was getting kind of nervous. I didn't feel like my contractions were bad enough yet to justify an epidural but I didn't want to regret not getting it in time. I finally decided to just go ahead and do it and by the time the anesthesiologist came in the contractions started to hurt more so it was perfect timing. All the stress didn't really matter in the end, because 5 minutes after I got the epidural my water broke on its own, and Dr. Le didn't show up until around 9! My mom warned me that I might not like the epidural. She tried to convince me to try and do it naturally because she had a natural childbirth with me but with my sister and my brother she had an epidural and didn't like it. Well I should have known my mommy would be right! The epidural made me jittery and nauseous and I pretty much felt like crap for a few hours. The only thing that made the shaking stop was if Houston held my hand. And, my nurse (Darlene went home at 7 so my new nurse was Rosario) gave me a bowl and said it was ok if I threw up, it would help the baby come down. I was like...awesome! Exactly what I wanted to hear!
I was dilated to a 9 by 1:30 or so and I was starting to get super uncomfortable. My epidural was great though. It was perfect. I could move my legs the whole time, and I felt everything, it just wasn't necessarily painful. But, when people say you feel "pressure" it doesn't begin to describe what it feels like! Like so much pressure that it probably could be considered painful and you feel like you have to take the biggest, most uncomfortable poop of your life! I probably started pushing around 2:10, Dr. Le came in around 2:20, and she was born around 2:30!
It was the most incredible experience of my life. I told people, labor was a thousand times better than being pregnant! It was such an amazing feeling when they put her little body on my chest. And, Houston was awesome! I just wanted it to be the two of us in the room and he was the best! He was there with me the whole time and he was a great counter! He wanted to be by my side the whole time; so much so that when Elaina was born I had to reassure him it was ok if he left me, I wanted him to go take pictures of my baby!!
I felt bad for all of our family waiting outside of the room. I kicked everyone out of the room around 1:30 when things started to not be so fun anymore ;) and I don't think they came back in the room until around 3:30. I know they started to get worried and wonder if everything was ok. The nurses kept walking in and out but they wouldn't say anything about what was going on and Houston didn't go out there to tell them anything for a long time! The reason it took absolutely forever was because Dr. Le took a lifetime stitching me up! It was taking so long I cracked a joke about how "I get the feeling it's not going to be very fun to poop tomorrow" and all of a sudden he got very serious and started explaining to me what was really going on. I had a "3rd degree laceration" and I tore my sphincter. (sorry if that's TMI) So, he gives me this whole shpeal about the minor possibility of surgery, etc. After his little conversation I got all serious and told the nurse I guess I wasn't really joking earlier! But, recovery has been great. Well, as great as it can be. I feel pretty good, going number 2 still isn't the funnest, but popping stool softeners like candy helps!
I just love my baby girl. I can't get enough of her. It's hard to go to sleep at night because we just stare at her and think she is just the most precious thing. I already can't imagine life without her and I love spending my day taking care of her. We were all surprised when she came out because I think everyone expected her to look like me! But, she definitely got a lot of the harris genes! She has Houston's coloring, long Harris "french fry" toes, and she's long and skinny like her Aunt Julie. But, when we look at Houston's baby pictures the two of us don't really think she looks like his baby pictures so maybe there is a little bit of me in there somewhere! We shall see as she gets a little bit bigger.
Elaina and her daddy
Elaina and her mommy
meeting her new BFF Mckayla for the first time!
me and Charlene with our babies, Cooper and Elaina! Yay, for not being pregnant anymore! :)
our sweet princess at 3 days old
I love her little hands. She always wants to have them next to her face. It makes me smile because in all the ultrasounds we had, her hands were always up close by her face!
12 comments:
I'm so happy for you all!! She is absolutely beautiful...glad you're doing well!
Yeah !!! I love "labor stories" Elaina is absolutely beautiful! Happy Mommy-ing. It really is the best. An BTW you look fantastic ! Congratulations !!! It is wonderful time of life that goes by quickly so enjoy every minuet . This is my only advice .. you are her mommy and you will know her best, so take advice with a grain of salt :) xoxo
She is SOOO cute Stina! Glad everything went pretty well! :) Thanks for posting the story, I've been dying to hear all about it! Hope you're surviving this first week! Miss you guys like crazy and can't wait to meet her!
Congratulations!! So happy for you and Houston. :)
Oh she is just the prettiest little thing! Congratulations! I am so glad everything went well. I too thought that labor was 100 times better than being prego :) Enjoy every minute of these first few months! It goes by WAY too fast! Hope you're getting some rest :)
She is beautiful! And totally a Harris! Isn't it just incredible how much love you feel for this tiny human? I'm glad your recovery is going well, I felt awful for the first 3 weeks. Also, Liam is the exact same way with his hands! He always had them up in his face in our ultrasounds and even came out with his hand next to his face! Congratulations!
I love her & I love seeing you be her perfect Mommy. I just can't wait to watch her grow up!
Her & Mckayla are definitely BFF, like their mommies! But I got a funny feeling they will give us a run for our money $$$... literally.
But, you can't blame a girl!
Love you!
Awww Cristina! She is SO DARLING! I want to cuddle :) Soooo sorry about your tear...ick, ick, ick. I'm glad you are doing well and probably still living off of the "high" of being a Mom. Hope you are getting lots of rest! Love you guys!
Cristina she is beautiful! So happy for ya'll! Hopefully we can meet her soon.
Congrats!!! She is so pretty! And I LOVE your nursery for her!
I laughed so hard at the "feeling like you need to poop" part. I remember telling Tyson that it felt like I was on a road trip and needed to go the bathroom and nobody would pull over...so uncomfortable! She is so cute, she definitely has the harris genes but I think she looks like you too. I'm glad everything went good,congrats!
Congrats! She is gorgeous!
Post a Comment