Sunday, July 19, 2009

Our Humble Abode

It's official. We closed on a home on July 7th. It's pretty similar to the townhome we lived in in Utah. The square footage is about the same, but the lay out isn't as open. I really had my heart set on buying a house, specifically because I wanted a garage, but this turned out to be the better plan I guess. We saw some super cute houses at a great price but they were all in areas further away from where our families live and the areas weren't nearly as nice. All the houses we looked at near our families that were in our price range were older and had structural issues we just didn't want to deal with. This is in a great area and since it's in such a great area the property values are great and stable if we choose to sell it down the road. But, if we choose not to sell it, since it's a townhome we can rent it out if we like. I'm kind of sad Harley won't have a back yard but on the other hand, I forgot how often you have to mow the grass down here! So, no lawn means Houston doesn't have to focus on taking care of it every weekend, therefore he has more time to focus on school, which I think is probably the better idea.
A pic of the common area outfront a.k.a. harley's "front yard"

We got a good deal on the place because the man we bought it from wanted to sell it fast and it needed a lot of updating. As of right now it looks like a total construction zone (yes Vanessa, probably even more so than your house!) there are no floors, no sinks, no toilets, no counters, no cabinet doors, pretty much everythings been taken out. As of now Jesse the amazing plumber has installed a new sub floor in the bathroom, a new tub, a new shower pan, and extended the shower to make it a little bigger. Yesterday my mom and I painted the ceiling, walls, and closets of the two extra bedrooms, the hallway, and the two upstairs bathrooms. This week we're on to tiling the bathrooms, painting the rest of the upstairs and whatever else we can squeeze in! Here's to hopefully moving in before Houston starts school!

a pic of the tile for the bathrooms and the granite in the kitchen

9 comments:

HolliJo said...

Whoa! Congratulations! It looks so cute! And it sounds like it will be AWESOME inside. You'll have to post tons of pictures! Sorry the weather is so hot and humid down there. I guess there are a few good things about Utah... :). We really miss you guys. Oh man, good luck if you decide to take the GRE this summer. At least it is only one test instead of 4. And we will totally have to help motivate each other, because I'm already burnt out! haha. But, good luck with all the renovations, we can't wait to see pictures!

Ben N Nessa said...

YAY! We're so excited for you guys!!! I can't wait to see pictures of the inside. It's SO cute on the outside.

Good luck with the construction zone...it isn't easy. Be sure to remind Houston, often, what a patient wife you are. LOL ;) Maybe it'll get you some new shoes or a cute outfit!

Love you!!!

Leslie said...

Congrats on the house! It's cute on the outside and it sounds like it will be gorgeous on the inside.

Tyson and Shelise said...

Congrats I am sure you guys are ready to live in your own space. Looks cute, take some pics when you get everything done :)

Jeanine said...

That's great !!! So happy for you guys . Miss ya

Jeanine

Lindsay Mecham said...

It's beautiful house--I love the tile!!

Shara said...

hey! Awesome guys. I am excited to see pics of the inside and all that. We miss you both like crazy!

Nate & Emily said...

Congrates I'm so excited for you guys! And how fun to be fixing the place up... a lot of work... but still fun! It looks really cute!

Alexa said...

How fun for yall! Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures :)