Friday, December 23, 2011

bah humbug.

 I've felt a little Grinch-y this Christmas season.  With law school finals, a baby, work, the stress of buying a million Christmas presents for the million people I love, two old cars that always decide to fall apart in December, dealing with round two of the stomach flu, lots of diarrhea diapers and loads of laundry... I just have felt a little blah. grumpy. stressed out. I don't know, pick your adjective!  I've felt like the fun festive part of Christmas has been missing like driving around to look at Christmas lights, baking strawberry bread, enjoying family time. But, today has been fun (aside from flipping out when Houston criticized our jam packed Christmas Eve/Christmas day schedule that I put a lot of time and thought into trying to make everybody happy - can you tell I'm feeling a little nuts!)  But, seriously, today has been fun.  Houston woke up with Elaina and surprisingly I fell back asleep pretty quickly because I didn't even know he took her with him to the store!  They went to the grocery store and came home and made my favorite breakfast.  I woke up to the smell of french toast, Christmas music playing, and my sweet little girl giggling in the kitchen with her daddy.  It's nice being able to spend time together.  I love my little family and it's a rare occasion that all three of us are together these days.  While Elaina (and Houston) were taking a nap later, I finished up wrapping presents and noticed that "Santa" had already put an orange in my stocking and in Elaina's stocking.  It sounds silly but it made me tear up a little bit.  When I was growing up Santa always put an orange in our stockings; it was in a Christmas book we always read, so we had the tradition too.  The first year we were married and spent Christmas away from my family I got a little sad on Christmas Eve that I wouldn't get an orange in my stocking, so Houston went out super late that night to the gas station across the street from our neighborhood to buy me an orange.  Every year since Santa hasn't forgotten my orange.  He may not be the best with words and often sticks his foot in his mouth, but my hubs is a sweet man.  He loves me and our munchkin and I love them.  To add to the fun of the day I got the cutest BYU wreath in the mail from Kristen, my fab secret santa and had lunch with Stacy so I could give her a gift since I was her secret santa.  "Santa Stacy," as she called herself, even brought a sweet gift for Lainey Lou.  Amidst all the crazy of the season, I really do love being reminded of what wonderful friends and family we have and being surrounded by so much love.

Other things we've been up to this month:

We went to the Foster Quan company party.  Dang those attorneys know how to party ;)  We had so much fun.  The firm rented out House of Blues and had appetizers, dinner, dancing and a dj, and a photo book booth.  I really don't know what to call the booth.  They had a bunch of props so you could dress up then they took a video of you doing some thing silly and printed out each frame of the video and bound it in this little flip book so when you flip the pages really fast it looks like you're actually moving.  I don't know how to explain it but it was cool!  Houston loved being able to dance and we had a great time on a very awesome free date! Thanks Foster Quan!

 Mimi bought Elaina her very own Christmas tree for her room.  Elaina  loves it and even helped Mommy put it up!  By helped I mean, she grabbed ornaments and tried to eat them while I was putting them on the tree. :)

college roomies with their mini me's
(I don't know how to really make mini me plural...)
Our friends the Kleins are in town!!  With busy schedules, family duties, and sickness it has been hard to get together since they came in town.  But, they drove over to our house the other evening and we had so much fun hanging out with them!!  They left and I told Houston I didn't realize how much I missed them until we spent time with them again!  Elaina and Taycie were so cute with each other, just smiling and talking.  When I was taking Elaina upstairs to put her to bed Taycie fussed a little bit when she left the room.  Seriously the sweetest thing ever.  Just a few days apart, our itty bits were meant to be besties!

and last but not least
Merry Christmas from the Harris family!!

1 comment:

HolliJo said...

oh man, I know the feeling :). thanks for the bread. it was yummmmy! and for driving out here today. we had SO much fun. tonight Kevin was like, man hanging out with them makes me want to move here. we miss you guys tons. and we had tons of fun at your house the other day too. I love how cute our little girls are together. I agree, they are going to be the best of friends :).