Sunday, December 5, 2010

Turkey Day

Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day! Ours was packed all day long...cooking, eating, hanging out with family and friends, eating some more. Houston was in charge of cooking the turkey. With a little Tony's Injectables and Alton Brown's "turkey triangle" or as I called it, the turkey tent, the turkey turned out great!! It was a huge turkey and we cooked it at our house so my mom could have her oven free for all the side dishes, let's just say the transport of the 20+ lb turkey was a little tricky. I'm pretty sure my car still smells like turkey juice!

This was my thanksgiving plato. It was SO much food. I'll admit it, I couldn't finish it all but I definitely tried really hard. Going clockwise on the plate, I had...turkey, green bean casserole, candied sweet potatoes, faro cranberry salad (my uncle made it, he always experiments), cornbread stuffing, homemade macaroni and cheese, and starting on plate number 2 I had...a roll, cheesy potatoes (aka funeral potatoes), spinach casserole, and cranberry mango salsa. I wish we could eat it all over again, thanksgiving food is my favorite!

Our friends Eric and Tamra joined my crazy big family for Thanksgiving since they weren't going home for the holiday! It was so much fun to have them there and Tamra's mac and cheese was DElicious!


there's my sweet hubs and his turkey leg. I think I might have a picture like this from every Thanksgiving we've spent together!


Eric and Tamra were so nice and insisted on cleaning the kitchen, quite the task on thanksgiving and they would NOT stop!! :)

My dad is like a really big kid and always gets excited when it's a big family get together or holiday and buys lots of toys for everyone to play. He set up a badminton game in the backyard, a ping pong table in the garage, and remote control helicopters for all the "boys" to play with (and by boys I mean men).

Our family has a tradition of making turkey sandwiches on thanksgiving, usually around 9 or 10 and night. I don't know when the tradition started but my dad always makes them and they are so good. It's probably my favorite part of thanksgiving. This year we went over to H's parents house for a hours in the evening and I started to get a little testy when we were taking forever to leave because I was worried about missing my sandwich time!!


Scotty, my sister, and my uncle all with their mouths full of deliciousness!


Me and my mama with my turkey sandwich.
How to make a Mascarenhas turkey sandwich:
toast the bread (best with some serious wheat bread)
a little mayo
a lot of chopped turkey meat
a generous amount of A1 sauce
sliced tomatoes
pickles
It may sound a little weird all together, but just trust!

1 comment:

HolliJo said...

Yummm. I'm getting hungry just reading this! Glad you guys had a great Turkey Day!