Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Espana: el dia tercero

Well, I don't have very many pictures of our 3rd day in Madrid. It was raining pretty hard that day so I didn't really have an opportunity to pull out my camera. We did go to the Prado Museum that day, which was nice. We saw tons of pieces that I had to learn about in my humanities classes in college. It was kind of nice that I still remembered some of the stuff I learned about them!! After the Prado we grabbed some lunch and headed to the airport in Madrid to catch a plane to Barcelona.
I think Spain is gorgeous!! The old buildings are absolutely gorgeous, the countryside is beautiful, the shopping is amazing, I love it all! The one, huge negative is the smoking!!! When I say that 85-90% of the adult population in Spain smokes, I am NOT exaggerating! It is seriously disgusting. I feel like I'm contracting lung cancer just by walking around. Sorry, I got on the smoking tangent because the Madrid airport is older and reeks as soon as you walk in of smoke. They still have the "smoking area" for people to go smoke in. It reminded me of this saying I read when I was younger... "having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool."
Anyway, back to the trip! Our flight to Barcelona was delayed, I guess because of the rain, so we didn't get there until late. But we still got out for a little bit and walked around. We went and saw the port/marina and ate dinner outside by the water.
Then we went back to our hotel. As we were pulling up to the hotel my brother and I asked my mom how she had heard of it. She said her friends parents had recommended. As soon as she said that my brother and I just groaned!! You don't take the recommendation of people over the age of 70!! The things they suggest may have been nice 30 years ago!!! Well, as soon as we walked into the hotel room our suspicions were confirmed. Some of the wall paper was peeling, the tv didn't work, the beds were hard as rocks, but the real kicker was when my brother and I woke up in the middle of the night with a leak coming from our ceiling!! Hilarious. If you're going to Barcelona any time soon, don't stay at Hotel Barcelo Sants. Take the recommendation of someone in her twenties ;)

No comments: