Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Big Move

So, the last Monday in April Houston and I headed down to Texas officially. We spent all night the Sunday before finishing up packing and cleaning the house before we left. I think Houston went to bed around 5:30 a.m. and I followed him about an hour later. Thanks Shane and Shara for letting us crash on your couch!
This is me saying goodbye to our empty, little, first home together. Sean and Alexa we hope you like it there! Sorry some things are a little dirty/old, it wasn't us I promise.


The goal was to leave Orem around noon on Monday. Well, long story short, we spent three hours trying to figure out how in the world to disengage the drive shaft of my Xterra so we could tow it down to Texas. Thrilling! So by the time we finished that I was starving. Every time we've left Orem to go on a road trip we always have stopped at Sam's to fill up on gas and grab a hot dog and drink combo for the road. So, for traditions sake that is exactly what we did!
A little pic to commemorate our last Provo Sam's Club run.

Our last pic of the mountains! Adios snowy winters!!

We stopped for gas in Moab so I took a little photo shoot of our travel set up. Harley was a nervous wreck the whole time and refused to go to the bathroom! That was a little nerve racking!

Since we got about 2 hours of sleep the night before (if even that much!) we stopped at some random truck stop in the middle of New Mexico to take a little nap in the middle of the night. I can't drive very well at night, no matter how much sleep I've gotten, when it's dark outside my eyes have trouble staying open. So around 2:30 in the morning or so Houston couldn't stay awake any longer and we slept for about 4 hours and then we were on our way again!

making our way into El Paso! We were halfway there!! I was waiting to take a picture of this sign the whole way there and then I was reading a book and almost missed it!! Oh well, I got it kind of. "Welcome to Texas. Drive friendly, the Texas way."

A little pic of our truck set up. Harley chillin in the middle on her doggy bed.

I had Houston take a pic of me driving just to prove I drove the massive moving truck AND a trailer with my car behind us! Let me tell you it wasn't the easiest thing being 5 feet and 1 inch.

Two years ago we drove down to Houston for our wedding and stopped at this Dairy Queen in Kerrville (I THINK thats the name of the town). The town was really cute with a ton of houses in the tops of the hills. So, our goal was to wait to at this place. About an exit outside of the town we see a pickup truck ON FIRE. For reals. Like in the movies. Fully engulfed in flames on the side of the road!! It was crazy and pretty dang cool (especially since it wasnt my truck!). It was on the far right shoulder and we were two lanes away in the far left lane and we could feel the heat from the fire all the way in the cab of our truck! We pulled over to the side of the road to call 911 for the people (they were walking down the highway away from their truck) but just as houston was about to dial we saw the lights of a police car headed our way so we just went back to our own business and got our DQ for dinner.
Houston had me take a picture of the packaging at Dairy Queen. "DQ Thats what I like about Texas" Yes guys, Texas is just that special. It gets its own fast food wrappers!

So, we officially left Provo around 3:30 p.m. on Monday afternoon and pulled up to my parents house at 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning. We were dead tired and aside from taking forever to get my car situated (oh, AND having my car almost fall off the trailer in New Mexico and having to pull in to a truck stop to look at it and realizing it had fallen off the little places for the wheels and was only attached to the trailer but these chains houston hooked on to the front of the car. Since Houston had disengaged the drive shaft we couldn't DRIVE it back onto the right place on the trailer, so luckily these very nice, very huge and burly truck drivers pretty much picked up and put it where it back where it belonged.) it was a pretty successful and safe trip and we arrived in Sugar Land in one piece. Houston decided to pull up onto our street going the long way down the street so he could just nicely and slowly pull up alongside the curb in front of my house. Houston will be so embarrassed I'm telling everybody this but I think it's pretty funny now...all of a sudden we hear this HUGE BANG! The truck had a slight collission with our nieghbors tree by the street!! From the sound of the bang you would have thought that all our nieghbors would be awake!! and from the look of the damage you would have thought we had taken the tree down to the ground!! But nope, not quite the case...here are few pictures to document the damage...

This looked even worse in person!! It was pretty bad. It was also pretty embarrassing when all neighbors saw it in the morning. Below is a picture of the dang tree. Nothing really wrong with it, just missing a little bit of bark.

5 comments:

Ben N Nessa said...

Glad you guys made it safely...the damaged truck picture made me laugh! :) :) :) And Cristina, I am SO impressed that you actually drove the truck. I don't think I'd be brave enough!

HolliJo said...

oh man. We are so glad you guys made it okay! That is a LONG drive in a normal car, much less in a big huge moving truck towing a car! I'm totally impressed you drove it Cristina! Hopefully we will get to see you guys in like a week and a half when we are down there!

Tyson and Shelise said...

That is a long drive, I have am like ADHD in the car, I am jumping out of my seat after like 3 hours..I wouldnt have made it! That sucks you got all the way there without any major issues, and then you hit a tree in the neighbors yard haha so funny!

Nate & Emily said...

Wow, what a trip... I have so much to comment on I dont even know where to start! First, good work on driving that big o'truck... I would have been scared to death! I love the DQ Texas logos but so sad for the guy with his truck on fire and that must have been one tough tree! Glad you guys made it.

Jeanine said...

Uh Houston...we have a problem!! Nice work bro! ;)