
Growing up, I always LOVED the 4th of July! It always meant a bunch of people coming over to go swimming and have a barbeque, then we would watch the fireworks, then we would go shoot off our own fireworks with my best friend Alyse and her fam. Shooting off our own fireworks was always the coolest part because it was late at night and we would go to this dam/water reserve thing...so when there wasn't any water in it, it was basically this concrete pit with tunnels running underneath the road above. We would light sparklers and run and scream through the tunnels super fast so that we could reach the end before the sparklers died out! Ever since I left home the 4th of July hasn't quite been the same, the 4th always meant hanging out with my family, and here I don't have my fam to hang out with! Not to mention that last year, Houston had to close at work and couldn't even watch the fireworks with me. But, I tried to make the best of it this year and we had a lot of fun. Houston had to work in the morning so I ventured off to the parade by myself. I met up with Kevin and HolliJo at the parade and it was really fun. Luckily they had staked out a spot for us early on, there were some crazies already set up for the parade the day BEFORE it even started. I liked watching all the high school bands, the BYU stuff, and all the vets. I love seeing all the old men who have served our country, it reminds me of my sweet grandpa.
Watching the parade go by
My sweet Grandpa, in his uniform during WWII
After the parade, I went to work for a little bit then came home to get ready for dinner. We invited our friends the Pack's over and their cute little Kaylee and we enjoyed some burgers and hot dogs. Houston's mission buddy Jay and his wife Kara stopped by for a little bit too, we don't see them very often so that was a lot of fun. After dinner, we had PLANNED on hiking up the Y to see the fireworks from up the mountain. Well, none of us had ever really driven up there ourselves so we asked directions and the guy sent us in kind of the wrong way. But we found this little hike/trail thing by accident, it was actually a great view and turned out to be better than hiking the Y. We could see all the cars going up to the Y from our good spot and I was glad we weren't having to deal with all the crazy traffic/people. This year's 4th of July wasn't quite like being back home but we made the best of it and had a good time. Thanks Shane and Shara for keeping us company!!
Hangin with our friends Jay and Kara (soon to be little Tyler)
The cutest USA cheerleader ever!
Waiting for the fireworks to start
a pic of us...just ignore my psycho hair please

2 comments:
fun!! wish we could have been there! next year you will be home for the 4th- can't wait!
hey! sorry we didn't make it to the BBQ. but it was fun to hang out at the parade! we need to go camping again soon!!
Post a Comment